Many people have problem with tartar buildup on the teeth. It is actually plaque that, by the time, has hardened on our teeth. It can also form and irritate gum tissues.
Tartar gives to the plaque more surface area to build up and grow. It creates stickier surface to enter and adhere to, which can lead to more serious conditions such as gum disease or cavities. Saliva, fluids and food produce the buildup that collects on the gums and teeth.
Plaque represents a film of bacteria without color. On other side, tartar is a mineral buildup that we can easily see it above the gum line. The most common tartar sign is brown or yellow color on the gums or teeth. Tartar is porous and stains easily. Therefore, it’s very important for smokers and those who drink tea or coffee to prevent tartar buildup.
How to Prevent Tartar Buildup
Here are few reasons for tartar and plaque buildup, including:
- Irregular brushing habits– Brushing your teeth two times a day is crucial to keep away bacteria.
- Poor diet– A diet high in processed food and added sugar can completely destroy our teeth. Eating natural foods like vegetables and many fruits can help keep plaque away.
- Not flossing– Flossing can reach spots between the teeth that our toothbrush simply can’t get to.
- Skipping trips to the dentist– It’s pretty much impossible to get rid of all of the plaque on your teeth, unless you visit a dentist. Regular cleanings can help avoid buildup.
Proper oral hygiene is the most important thing when we talk about preventing tartar buildup. It’s very important to brush at least two times a day because plaque begins to form on teeth 4-12 hours after brushing. Few home remedies can help you solve these problems, to prevent complications from tartar buildup, including gum disease, cavities and bad breath.
Home Remedies to Prevent Tartar Buildup
Simply soak the toothbrush in apple cider vinegar, then as usual brush your teeth and rinse your mouth afterward. Use this natural remedy no more than 1-2 times a week. When you do this, be careful not to leave the vinegar on your teeth for too long.
You can rub your teeth with red fruits like tomatoes and strawberries to help remove tartar. Let the juice of these fruits stand on your teeth for 5 minutes to soften the buildup. Then rinse your mouth with warm water and baking soda for a shiny and bright smile. You can also use berries, red bell peppers, oranges and lemons.
Instead of using toothpaste, mix a pinch of salt with little bit of baking and you will remove tartar buildup. Also you can also make a mouthwash:
- 2 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 drops of peppermint essential oil
Mix all the ingredients into a jar and use this homemade remedy 1-2 times a day. The essential oils will work their anti-bacterial magic and you will have shiny teeth again.